Filmmakers beware: make a short queer film and win great prizes!
This year the Queer Film Festival Utrecht organizes the first edition of ‘The 10 Minute Challenge’. A short film competition especially for young starting (queer) filmmakers from Utrecht and surroundings! We have developed a competition especially for you, where you can get to know the film world, win some great prizes and see your talent on a cool final night at QFFU; Queer Villa!
Read below how you can apply, what the conditions are and what cool prizes you can win! Questions? Check out the frequently asked questions (FAQ 10 Minute Challenge). Or contact the 10 Minute Team at email@example.com
- Prize money of €1.000,-
- A beautiful Trophy (designed by a young queer maker from Utrecht)
- Screening at the closing night of QFFU (At Queer Villa)
- Screenings on OUTtv and Cinemien, among others
Game rules 10 Minute Challenge
- The film must fall under the term “queer”. The creators do not necessarily have to identify with queer.
- The film is 10 minutes long with a 20 second margin.
- The film is original and has not been shown before.
- The team consists of novice filmmakers.
- The filmmaker or someone from the team has a connection to Utrecht.
- The film must adhere to the theme ‘City without walls’. This can be freely interpreted by the filmmakers.
- Submit your idea/script/scenario/synopsis (may be short and sweet) at latest Friday, April 22, 2022. After your submission, you will receive a periodic newsletter and updates on the progress of the contest. Of course you can ask the QFFU team questions or ask for guidance at any time!
- Saturday, May 28, 2022 there will be a meet-up! The afternoon will be filled with workshops, meetings and film(makers). More info will follow after registration.
- Film must be submitted by noon on Friday, July 29, 2022.
On Sunday, August 28, 2022 the moment is finally there: during a festive event at Villa Concordia, the films will be screened and the jury and the audience will announce the winner at the end of the evening. So keep these dates free in your agenda!
The first judges have been announced! More judges will be announced soon.
Bart Peters (1989) is a filmmaker and one of the three Transketeers. The Transketeers consists of three trans men – Bart, Chris and Jonah – who together make projects around positive visibility and diversity. They make films, both documentary and fiction, that focus on resilience, humor and authenticity.
Bart graduated from the Dutch Film Academy in directing fiction.
Lazlo & Dylan Tonk
Lazlo & Dylan Tonk (1982) are twin brothers and filmmakers. They made their documentary debut in 2019 with Galore, a film about the metamorphosis of drag sensation Lady Galore. Previously, Lazlo and Dylan wrote and directed the short youth film Uitgesproken (2013), about a friendship that comes under pressure when it turns out that one of the boys in the group of friends is gay. Lazlo and Dylan both studied Theater-, Film- en Televisiewetenschap at Utrecht University, specializing in dramaturgy.
Are there things still not clear? See if your question is answered in the frequently asked questions (FAQ 10 minute challenge). If you still can’t find an answer, feel free to contact Team 10 Minute at firstname.lastname@example.org!